Jar and seal preparation. Process time – 20 min
1) Put tomatoes and chopped red peppers in a large pot. Cook until peppers are cooked. Put through Food mill to remove seeds and skin from tomatoes and skin from red peppers.
2) Put the strained tomato and red pepper juice back into large pot and add vegetables and seasoning except sugar and salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently until vegetables are tender. Remove the bay leaves.
3) Puree soup in small batches in processor or blender. Return to pot and add brown sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Heat to boil.
4) Put in jars, seal and process in canner.
5) When processing is complete, leave jars on the counter and cover over night. Store in cool place.
16 cups of chopped and cored tomatoes (if you don’t have a fine strainer then the tomatoes need to be also peeled and peppers finely chopped)
2 cups chopped red peppers
3 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 cup sliced carrots
7 bay leaves (these will need to be removed before pureeing soup)
1 tbsp basil
1 clove garlic
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
salt and pepper